The bank holiday weekend has been and gone; all of a sudden September looms and we’re left wondering where the summer went. For most of us, that means back to work or back to school. Here at Lusophile we have decided to put together a list of items to kick-start a stylish September in the office:1. Our first pick is an easy one: Artelusa’s cork backpack. It features regularly in our posts, proving just how versatile this bag is. Whether it’s a laptop and files or stacks of books, this is the perfect work companion. A smart yet stylish design that doesn’t compromise on practicality. Forget the satchel that leaves you leaning to one side for days, Artelusa has created a soft, lightweight bag with a number of easily-accessible zipped compartments, ideal for smaller bits and pieces. For more details on the benefits of cork as a material, head over to our dedicated cork post, but the main advantage here is that it softens over time and with use. The XL Cork Backpack is available in black or soft brown and has the added bonus of being a vegan product (Artelusa has been awarded the PETA Vegan seal.)
2. One for the girls: the RYG collection of shoes and loafers. As someone who is firmly committed to flat shoes, particularly at work, these have become a wardrobe favourite. A soft and supple off-white suede exterior is complemented by leather detailing in 3 pastel shades: cool aqua, pale pink or neutral beige. These shoes feature a classic suede tassel design and can smarten up any outfit. The main draw of our RYG collection is that the materials used are of such high quality that from day one they are perfectly comfortable without needing to be worn in. The loafers were recently featured by fellow flat-shoe enthusiast, the lovely Hannah Rochell of En Brogue, who shares her passion for comfortable yet stylish ladies shoes through her dedicated blog. Read the full post here ->
3. Now a couple of fashion picks for the boys, starting with our new A/W menswear range by Porto-based label Litoral. We have selected 3 items from their collection including a waffle tee, heavy cotton shirt and flannel cotton chinos. Inspired by the rugged Portuguese coastline, their pieces strike a perfect balance between comfort and style, prioritising top quality materials and craftsmanship.
4. Let’s not forget our long-sleeved shirts by Lisbon-based fashion brand +351. Expanding as a result of their huge success both at home and overseas, this beautiful brand has just opened a new store in the stylish Chiado district of Lisbon. For our ‘Back to Work’ list, we’re selecting the long sleeved shirt, available in Stone or Denim colours. This is a great option for men who prefer a more slim-fitting shirt and is a lighter, smarter alternative to the Litoral option.
5. Having made it in to the office, there are a couple of desk essentials that we can’t do without. The first is a mug: the cork geniuses at Amorim have partnered with Matceramica to create a beautiful line of tableware that incorporates the expertise and materials of both companies. From espresso cups to teapots, each piece has a simple ceramic design in either dark grey or off-white with a removable cork base. This base is useful for two reasons: it acts as an insulating layer to keep your drink warm but also prevents burnt fingers as the cups have a no-handles design.
6. Lastly, a notebook. Why not keep it colourful with one of Namban’s beautiful hand-crafted options, available in a range of colours and sizes, ruled or plain. They are bound in a traditional Japanese style with complementary thread colours and are an absolute must for anyone with even the slightest interest in stationary. I know we all love the classic Muji notebooks, but these are quite special.